Other Jobs You Might Like
Do you want to work in one of the country’s most vibrant newsrooms covering the best city in the world? We are already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience but we want to get even bigger.
Eighteen months ago, we launched our first My brands in Greater Manchester – dedicated to providing news from Greater Manchester’s boroughs, in addition to the region-wide service the MEN is famous for. We’re now expanding to make sure the whole of the region gets the detailed district news service it deserves – and we need your help to do it.
We are looking for great journalists with a passion for news, excellent storytelling skills and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
We’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content. Greater Manchester is a city with a million stories to tell – we want to find the right people to help us tell as many as possible.
You’ll want to write stories which make people come back to our site time and again, and be as comfortable picking up a breaking live blog as they are spending time off diary on that story which is really worth it.
So, Who Are We?
You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. Reach plc is home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers.
From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and of course, the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Find their own stories, make contacts and work the patch
- Be able to cover live breaking news
- Understand how to identify the stories that people want to read
- Be an elegant storyteller, able to write in a clear and accurate way
- Provide quality content to tight deadlines
- Have a sophisticated understanding of how to use social media to spot stories
- Understand the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
- Understand the value of analytics to inform content decisions
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Reach PLC’s editorial and company policies
- Maintain a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
The Ideal Candidate
Who are we looking for?
- Reach PLC or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
- A strong storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content
- A skilled user of social media to engage audiences, source ideas and share content
- Great communication skills and the ability to build a strong network of contacts
- Excellent writing skills
- A good understanding of SEO or willingness to learn
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- A team player, willing to work flexibly
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Full driving licence.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Plus lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Please mention Journo Resources when applying for this job. It really helps us out.