- Flexible Working
- Remote Working
- Starting Out
Do you have a passion for writing stories with an ethical slant and an interest in digital media? Co-op News is looking for an editorial assistant to join our small, tight-knit team and report on the thousands of ethical organisations around the world that make up the global co-operative movement.
Your main duties will be:
- Writing up news stories for a monthly magazine and news website about the global co-operative movement, which is published in both a physical and digital format (click here to view a recent edition).
- Assisting in creating newsletters and social media content (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Providing additional editorial, communication and admin support as required
- As a member of the team, you will also be involved in daily editorial meetings and take part in activity, scheduling and strategy discussions. Our primary online working tools are G Suite, Slack, Zoom and Asana.
This is a full time role for six months, with the possibility of extension.
About Co-op News
Across the UK, over 15 million people are members of around 7,000 different co-operatives – and many more are involved in community ownership schemes, credit unions and social enterprises. The sector covers all walks of life from housing and agriculture to fashion and finance; so we are seeking a versatile journalist who is comfortable writing news and features across a number of different areas.
Our mission is to connect, champion and challenge the co-operative sector, which we achieve through a monthly printed and digital magazine and a daily online presence through social media and www.thenews.coop.
- Experience in communications or journalism background, with excellent written and verbal communication skills (recent graduates welcome)
- Ability to discover, research and write compelling and engaging content, which will include interviewing people and attending conferences and events
- Organised, with attention to detail, good proof-reading skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines with a fast turnaround
- Ability to learn, understand and keep-up with new technologies
Desirable, but not essential
- Knowledge of and a passion for co-operatives/social enterprises
- Fluency in writing or speaking foreign languages (French/Spanish preferable)
- Experience in digital marketing
- Experience in print design (Adobe suite)
- Experience of digital design
How To Apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 20 August, outlining your experience and telling us how you would meet the requirements of the role. Please mention Journo Resources when applying, it really helps us out.