Other Jobs You Might Like
- Starting Out
The Scottish Sun is looking for an apprentice reporter to join our award-winning team at Scotland’s top title at a time of exciting opportunities in our multi-platform and vibrant newsroom.
The apprentice reporter role is a gateway to a great career in journalism. During your time with us, you will get full training — including an NCTJ Diploma in Journalism — with all your course fees paid, while earning a living wage. You will receive mentoring and coaching bespoke to you and delivered by some of the most experienced and talented journalists in the industry.
Day to day:
- As part of the rotation across news and sports, you will spend time with our reporting, social media, and subbing teams, working across both print and digital;
- You’ll learn how to create content, tell and share stories, and how to attract audiences;
- Alongside on-the-job training, you will also take on classroom learning, working towards an NCTJ diploma in journalism with our partner, PA training
What We’re Looking For From You:
- You are passionate about journalism and creating compelling content
- You are a storyteller and know what makes a story interesting
- You are a people person – you understand what readers really care about and want to shine a light on it
- You are curious and tenacious
- You are hard-working, hungry to learn and ready to challenge yourself
If you think you have what it takes but don’t tick every requirement on the list, please do apply.
We recognise that considering someone’s potential as well as their experience is a great way to hire. We want to hear from people who have a passion to learn and develop.
Online Application > Telephone Interview > Assessment Centre
As part of the Online Application process, we would like you to answer the following three questions:
- Tell us about yourself and why you have applied for this position.
- Give us an example of a story you have covered / or would like to cover — and how you would treat that story on social media.
- How would you describe The Scottish Sun or The Sun and how would you get your friends to read it?
Applications close Sunday 29th of October, if you have any questions about your application please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention Journo Resources in your application, it really helps us out.
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland, our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning digital and print, audio and video, events and experiences, our brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
We are The Scottish Sun. The Scottish Sun is Scotland’s No.1, award-winning newsbrand. The Scottish Sun cares about quality of life, the kind of world we live in, and about people. The Scottish Sun is more than a newspaper. It is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse and a daily relationship. The Scottish Sun strives to the very highest standards of accuracy in its reporting, and continues to invest in original journalism in print and online.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ / ‘Electric Car’ scheme
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.