Other Jobs You Might Like
STV News is looking for a television reporter to join the team in our Glasgow newsroom working on Scotland’s most-watched news programme, STV News at Six.
We place real people at the heart of all our stories and our reporters are key in bringing those stories to our audiences. Our reporters provide STV’s broadcast and digital news services with high-quality, original journalism and first-class reporting.
As a reporter you will be bursting with ideas, contacts and questions. You will be expected to shoot, edit and write, creating packages for use on our broadcast programmes, copy for our website and digital video for our social channels.
You will be working at the scene of big breaking stories, speaking to some of the biggest names in the country and at the heart of big moments in Scottish life.
You must be adept at producing both compelling broadcast material and engaging online content, with strong storytelling at the heart of your work. You will need the confidence and experience to take your ideas through to transmission and publication.
You will need a clear understanding of the news and current affairs agenda and the social, cultural and political trends shaping Scotland in 2022 and beyond.
There may also be opportunities to present our television news bulletins.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Scotland’s leading news team and to help serve our audiences with engaging, accessible and trusted journalism on broadcast and online.
- Dealing with breaking stories across all platforms adopting a digital-first work ethic.
- On the day production, editing and media management of original content for STV News on all platforms.
- Pre-planning and initiating off-diary story ideas.
- Self-shooting quality video and stills for broadcast and digital output on a variety of devices.
- Writing clear, accurate and accessible content for use on our website and digital platforms.
- Assisting in live programming/streaming, reporting live as required.
Skills and experience
- First-class journalist with a passion for news and an ability to work to deadlines across a range of media platforms.
- Strong editorial sense with the ability to research and generate original content for a unique STV audience
- Engage with audiences using social and digital media
- Ability to write compelling, accurate stories, grammatically correct and sharp on detail
- Experience of producing longer form broadcast and online content is an advantage
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team working skills to liaise effectively with colleagues, internal and external contacts at all levels.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the Scottish news agenda and an affinity with the STV audience.
- A sound knowledge of the law in Scotland as it affects journalism.
- Self-motivated with excellent interpersonal skills.
- A clear commitment to the principles of multi-skilling and to a cross-platform approach to news output.
- Desk-top editing: preferably knowledge of Avid Newscutter/Media Composer and Adobe Premiere editing systems or similar.
- Excellent IT skills with experience of working with CMS and video-publishing systems is an advantage.
There are plenty of reasons why it’s great to work at STV, here are just a few of the perks for you:
- 25 days’ paid annual leave and nine public holidays per annum
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday.
- Healthcare cash plan providing company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs.
- Company pension contribution.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season ticket travel loan.
- On-site occupational health service.
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts.
How to Apply
To apply please email a full CV and cover letter to email@example.com
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from a Black, Asian and minority ethnic background, disabled people and those from a lower socio-economic background. We are a Disability Confident employer and are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the role.