The People’s Vote campaign is calling for a final say referendum on Brexit. We trust the British people, not Boris Johnson, to solve the Brexit crisis. We are looking to strengthen our team ahead of a battle that will define UK politics for a generation. We are looking for a Press Officer to join our brilliant team.
You will have compelling and convincing writing skills, the ability to spot a story and understand how to gain traction through social media. The role will be orientated towards traditional broadcast and print media; writing press releases and opinion pieces, briefing journalists, preparing interviewees and monitoring broadcast bulletins.
The People’s Vote campaign has grown from a handful of supporters at its launch in April 2018 to the fastest growing movement in the country, uniting hundreds of MPs from all parties, and mobilising a march of one million people earlier this year.
This is an ideal role for someone who has previously worked as a press officer, recently graduated with a journalism degree, or taken an industry course such as an NCTJ.
This role will offer you the opportunity to work alongside experienced and talented people who have held senior roles with national newspapers or political campaigns – we work at a fast pace and you will learn a lot.
About This Role
- Proactively seek opportunities to promote the People’s Vote message through print and broadcast media.
- Write press releases, draft opinion pieces, and turn around copy quickly – an engaging writing style and eye for accuracy is essential.
- Pitch stories to local, regional and national print, broadcast and digital media outlets.
- Engage and maintain relationships with journalists and influencers across the media space.
- Work with colleagues across the People’s Vote campaign to understand the work of our supporters, activists and local groups in order to spot interesting and engaging stories to promote our work.
- You will have excellent writing skills and the ability to make a persuasive argument in favour of a People’s Vote.
- You will have experience working as a press officer or trainee journalist and can evidence past success in gaining coverage in local, regional or national media.
- You understand what is required to pitch and secure quality coverage across a range of outlets and platforms.
- You will be creative, enthusiastic and ambitious in your approach and enjoy working in a cross-party political environment.
- You will be a confident communicator, able to brief supporters on our key messages ahead of broadcast interviews.
- Able to think creatively, you will contribute to the kind of imaginative initiatives we use to attract the attention of the media. The Brexit debate is a crowded field and we need you to be creative and enthusiastic in getting our message across.
- A team player, committed to delivering on objectives with the ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities in busy campaign.
- Salary £25-35k, dependent on experience. One month rolling contract.
- The contractual hours of work are 40 per week however you may be required to work additional hours, including weekends, to meet the demands of the role.
- London based but travel will be required to events around the country.
How To Apply
- Please apply by submitting your CV along with a 500 word draft opinion piece, written in the name of any one of our supporters and for a publication of your choosing to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 9th October.
- Interviews will take place on Monday 14th October.
- * NO AGENCIES PLEASE*