Other Jobs You Might Like
We are looking for an exceptional journalist to take the reins in our coverage of crime and court cases across Wiltshire.
One of the most important roles in the newsroom, we want much more than someone that sits in court – we are looking for exclusive investigations, backgrounders, human interest stories and well-crafted news pieces around the big crime issues of the day, alongside the very best of what is happening in our courtrooms.
Our nationwide network of court and crime reporters are some of the best-performing journalists in the Newsquest group. This is your chance to join that top echelon of reporting.
There will also be chances to work with Newsquest’s leading True Crime team working with journalists who have investigated numerous high-profile cases, including Jimmy Saville.
You will be:
- Confident in getting the best out of the courts and challenging them when necessary with orders and picture requests
- An experienced qualified reporter with a strong background in court coverage
- Brimming with ideas on how to tackle the remit and get the most out of it digitally
- Versatile, and as eager to cover a first appearance at magistrates’ court or join police on a raid as you are providing live coverage of a major crown court trial
- Fully across what digital readers want from the court and crime coverage
- Clued up on the law and comfortable dealing with people outside of court
- Excellent at developing relationships with key contacts to improve coverage
You will be working for titles including the Swindon Advertiser, the Wiltshire Times and the Gazette and Herald in what is a very newsy patch.
The successful applicant for this role needs to be an enthusiastic self-starter who can find stories, make contacts and fit in with our hard-working team, writing across print, web and social media.
Applicants must be fully NCTJ qualified – including 100wpm shorthand – and have experience covering the criminal courts.
Candidates must also hold a full, UK driving licence.
Send your CV by clicking apply now. CVs will be reviewed as soon as they are received so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.