Other Jobs You Might Like
- Next Step Jobs
- Remote Working
TRBusiness, a major force in global travel retail B2B publishing and the proprietor of TRBusiness magazine/e-zine, TRBusiness.com, The Travel Retail Awards, The Travel Retail Consumer Forum and Travel Retail Sustainability Week, is seeking a dynamic Business Editor looking to make their mark in the fast-paced and exciting global duty free and travel retail (DF&TR) industry (including airports, inflight, ferries/cruise ships, downtown, diplomatic/military, etc).
The ideal candidate will have a nose for news, a keen eye for detail and a natural flair for identifying top stories. They will play a leading role in driving influential business coverage across TRBusiness’ market-leading digital, print and events portfolio.
They would be comfortable approaching and interviewing people at all levels, from shop-floor sales staff to C-suite executives to produce compelling content that speaks to multiple stakeholders – from global luxury brands and suppliers, to travel retailers, airport operators, trade associations and industry lobbyists.
About The Role
The Business Editor will offer editorial support across the breadth of TRBusiness’ products, particularly TRBusiness.com and the TRBusiness e-zines/print magazines, which cover all geographical territories and channels.
The main duties involve interviewing retailers, operators and brands and chasing original news stories for TRBusiness.com, as well as supplying features and category reports for the print/digital magazines.
You will also act as an ambassador for the company at press and trade events, including those taking place internationally.
The Business Editor will also contribute to the company’s e-newsletters and social media channels, and produce content for proprietary events (including the TR Consumer Forum, Travel Retail Sustainability Week and The Travel Retail Awards), as needed.
TRBusiness has a leadership position in the travel retail B2B media. With that in mind, the successful candidate will demonstrate a keen ability to deepen TRBusiness’ market-leading editorial relationships with stakeholders across the value chain, including retail operators, suppliers, airports, airlines, downtown/border shops, associations etc.
The role is home-based, and you will be provided with the necessary equipment and associated costs will be covered.
- As an integral member of the editorial team, the ideal candidate would be confident seeking out original news stories and conducting regular telephone, face-to-face and video interviews, with a particular focus on TRBusiness.com as well as supplying features for the TRBusiness e-zine (eight issues per year, including the Top 10 Global Operators report and Sustainability e-zine).
- Compose and publish a minimum of three stories per day, with images, for TRBusiness.com.
- Sending breaking news alerts when required.
- Regularly monitoring international, trade and regional press to stay abreast of the latest developments influencing the DF&TR industry, its associated channels, categories and stakeholders.
- Support the Managing Editor and Editorial Director in subbing, proofing and fact-checking tasks across all editorial products, using InDesign layouts as necessary. This will include subbing/proofing assignments for the e-zine in line with its house style guide.
- Build an enviable book of contacts by growing your network of sources within the duty free and travel retail industry to further develop the company’s position as a source of trusted, independent and authoritative information.
- The role will include an element of international travel. You will be expected to travel overseas, at times alone, to interview and report on DF&TR events, such as product launches, retail openings/activations, exhibitions and conferences.
- Act as an ambassador for TRBusiness, representing the company in the UK and abroad, with the expectation of ultimate professionalism at all times. This includes wearing proper business attire, and being well-presented at public events, during internal and external video calls, and while conducting interviews.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills (including being a confident networker).
- Able to produce well-researched, accurate news at speed.
- Adept at juggling a busy workload to meet strict deadlines, often at times of international travel
- Working knowledge of SEO best practices and CMS platforms (preferably WordPress) and Photoshop/Canva to independently upload photos of the right dimensions to web stories and newsletters.
- Comfortable using Microsoft 365 platforms, chiefly Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- A Bachelor’s degree or post-graduate qualification in journalism (NCTJ-accredited or similar).
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Able to deputise for the Managing Editor during periods of absence.
Desired (not essential):
- Knowledge of the global duty free and travel retail industry or related industries (retail, aviation etc).
- Experience with data/video journalism.
- Competent using Apple Macs.
- Experience of moderating conference sessions and/or presenting on stage to an audience.
- Familiar with Buffer, Later, Google Analytics, Canva and DotMailer.
Reports to: Managing Editor.
TRBusiness has been a leading provider of news, analysis and commentary to decision-makers and stakeholders in the global DF&TR industry since its launch in October 1997.
Today, TRBusiness is an award-winning, B2B digital media and events company with a multi-product portfolio comprising TRBusiness.com, the TRBusiness e-zine (and print issues) the TR Consumer Forum, the consumer-voted Travel Retail Awards, and Travel Retail Sustainability Week.
TRBusiness is the only travel retail B2B media company offering weekly video news updates. In addition, TRBusiness hosts bespoke roundtables and webinars, moderates at the industry’s leading conferences and events, and has appeared on the BBC on several occasions as its travel retail expert.
What we offer:
- Remote working with necessary expenses covered (telephone, broadband and computer equipment).
- A professional, close-knit, fun, friendly and supportive team.
- The possibility of travel to leading international duty free and travel retail trade events.
- Company pension contribution.
- 22 days’ annual leave (excluding bank holidays). Plus Christmas Holiday closure (outside of annual leave).
How To Apply
To apply, please send your CV and a link to examples of your work, outlining why you’d like to take on the role and your suitability for it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 14 February, 2023.