Other Jobs You Might Like
Your Role: We are seeking a passionate and talented Apprentice Sports Writer to join our team at talkSPORT.com. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for an aspiring sports journalist to develop their skills and gain valuable experience working on a leading sports website, while also acquiring an industry-recognised NCTJ qualification.
Being an apprentice at talkSPORT You will spend four days a week in our London Bridge offices, working closely with experienced sports writers and editors and contributing to our website’s content, and one day a week working towards a journalism qualification at PA Training’s HQ in London. During your apprenticeship you will receive mentoring and coaching bespoke to you and delivered by some of the most experienced and journalists in the industry. At the end of the two-year program you’ll complete your apprenticeship with great experiences, knowledge and network in journalism.
Day to day you will:
- Write engaging and topical articles and features across a range of sports, with a strong focus on football
- Work closely with the editorial team, contributing ideas for original content
- Keep up-to-date with the latest sporting events, news and trends
- Attend sports events, press conferences and interviews
- Help to curate talkSPORT’s social media platforms with relevant sports content
- Ensure all content adheres to talkSPORT.com’s editorial guidelines
- Show flexibility and be willing to cover sporting events at unsociable hours
- Give your full dedication to pursuing an NCTJ journalism qualification, attending all classes and completing coursework as required
What we are looking for from you:
- You are passionate about sports journalism and creating content
- You turn new and imaginative ideas into reality and can help us create a fresh tone that will resonate with a more diverse audience
- You excite people by the way you tell stories
- You make the complex simple
- Creative mind and ability to think differently
- You are a good storyteller and know what makes a story interesting
talkSPORT is the world’s biggest sports radio station. From World Cups and European Championships to the Premier League and the Champions League, through to Test cricket and world class boxing, the talkSPORT network is at the heart of the world’s major sporting events.
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland, our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio UK, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport, with Piers Morgan in a primetime evening show. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning digital and print, audio and video, events and experiences, our brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as physio/massage and counselling
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
News UK is an official partner of the Journalism Diversity Fund, founder of the Journalism and Disability Forum, and proud member of the Valuable 500. At News UK, we will continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace, to help people with visible and non visible disabilities create careers in media and aim to make our content accessible to all.