- Starting Out
The Somerset Times & Weston, Worle & Somerset Mercury news titles are looking for a talented and ambitious trainee reporter who can hit the ground running as part of our lively news team.
We want someone who combines sound news judgement and multimedia awareness to build on our reputation for insightful and informative community journalism.
You’ll be expected to have strong local knowledge and forge contacts with key local stakeholders, bring in brilliant stories from our communities and find innovative ways to present your content.
We are looking for a self-starter with drive and enthusiasm keen to begin their career reporting on life in North Somerset
Good communication skills and the ability to write fluent copy are a minimum requirement. You should also be organised and extremely creative and have a first rate understanding of our audience and marketplace.
Our offices are in Weston Super Mare and this will be your work base its working full time hours Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm.
You will have:
- NCTJ qualification or equivalent
- Looking for first opportunity potentially in a newsroom
- Ability to produce sparkling copy for our newspapers and websites
- Strong digital audience awareness for content
- Able to produce video and picture content
- Excellent news judgement
- Great ideas for print and digital platforms
Salary and benefits
- Up to £19,000
- Full 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Annual Volunteer work day
- Archant Gold – matched charity fundraising
- Give as You Earn – tax-free charity giving scheme
- Structured career progression, ongoing training and personal performance review
Please send your CV to us at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks you can assume that on this occasion you have not been successful.
We reserve the right to change the closing date at any time during the recruitment process, so please apply asap as we will be dealing with applications as soon as they arrive.