Other Jobs You Might Like
- Next Step Jobs
Are you an experienced reporter who loves writing but doesn’t love churning out dozens of stories a week for a pittance?
Why not use your skills to earn a proper wage in the world of PR? Don’t worry – you’ll continue to do all the things that made you want to be a journalist in the first place — talking to people, finding original stories and telling them with precision and panache.
PR can be very, very fun – especially if your colleagues are a bunch of journalists who just happen to be working in PR because the pay is better and the work is more satisfying.
Rhizome Media is a PR firm led by former hacks who have all worked in senior roles at The Sun, BBC, Express and Daily Mail.
We use our journalism nous to create proper stories – not PR puff – for big brands like The AA, the world’s biggest jobs site Indeed and the comparison service Uswitch. Our approach means our press releases are newsdesk-ready, and win our clients tons of coverage.
The last journalist we recruited from a local newspaper has rocketed up through our ranks to become an Account Director, earning many times what they would at a national paper.
We’re looking for journalists who can find the story in the dullest council meeting, who are comfortable digging for headlines in a spreadsheet, and who would feel confident pitching their ideas both to the clients who pay our bills and to senior journalists at The Times, FT and The Sun.
We work remotely, so you can earn a London wage no matter where you live. Some things are best done in person though, so meet up regularly for drinks, dinner and fun.
If you’ve got great writing skills and a bucketload of enthusiasm, we’ll teach you the rest. There’s a big exciting world outside of journalism, and you’ll never look back.
- Snappy writing: You’ll be a wordsmith who can craft punchy stories without wasting a word. We want fast, accurate writers.
- Great communication skills: Confident talking to senior figures and presenting yourself in a professional manner.
- Amazing nose for a story: The ability to spot a great tale amid the corporate babble, and to rework a client’s thinly veiled plug into a headline-grabber.
- Comfortable with spreadsheets and data: Lots of strong, original stories can be found hidden in dry-looking official data. You’ll be happy wrangling numbers from a range of sources and ready to learn more.
- Multi-tasking: Working in a mainstream PR agency like Rhizome means dealing with multiple clients in different sectors. You’ll relish this variety and be comfortable keeping several plates spinning at once.
How To Apply
Email email@example.com with your CV, a covering letter, and three stories you found yourself. Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.