Other Jobs You Might Like
- Next Step Jobs
Scotland’s most-watched news programme, STV News at Six, is looking for a multi-media sports journalist to lead the nightly sports desk in the East of Scotland, working from our Edinburgh newsroom.
This role is at the heart of big stories in Scottish sport, reporting and presenting live sport news coverage here in Scotland—and beyond.
The Multi-Media Journalist role is a key position in our integrated newsroom and supports our broadcast and digital output with high-quality original journalism and first-class reporting.
You will shoot, edit and write content for use on our broadcast programmes, website and social channels. This is a fast-moving role, and you will often be filing content from the field.
You will need great ideas and the confidence and resilience to see them through to transmission and publication. You will also need to have a clear understanding of the big stories & trends in sport and a passion for compelling storytelling.
This is an opportunity to join one of Scotland’s leading news teams and to help serve our audiences with engaging, accessible, and trusted journalism on broadcast and online.
- Leading coverage of the big sport stories across Scotland and in particular the East.
- Presenting the East edition of our nightly sport desk on the STV News at Six.
- Presenting, reporting, producing and planning sport news stories for TV & digital output
- Live reporting, self-shooting, scripting, editing & sending quality video & packages on location – often to tight deadlines.
- Dealing with breaking stories across all platforms, with a digital-first approach. • Pre-planning and initiating off-diary stories.
- Writing clear, accurate and accessible content for use on our TV and digital platforms.
- Digitise rushes and complete required paperwork for compliance purposes.
Skills and Experience
- First-class sport journalist with a background in live reporting/presenting and a passion for sport news.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines across a range of media platforms.
- Strong editorial sense with the ability to research and generate original sport content for STV’s audience.
- Ability to write, shoot and edit compelling stories.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team working skills to liaise effectively with colleagues.
- A good contacts book to source original stories and confirm news lines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Scottish news and sport agenda and an understanding of the STV audience.
- Sound knowledge of the law in Scotland as it relates to journalism.
- Self-motivated and resilient.
- A clear commitment to the principles of multi-skilling and to a cross-platform approach.
- Experience of Avid Newscutter/Media Composer (or similar) and of self-shooting video in broadcast quality.
- Excellent IT skills with experience of working with CMS and video-publishing systems is an advantage.
- Experience of producing longer-form broadcast and online content is an advantage
Whist this role predominantly involves working dayshifts Monday-Friday, there is also a requirement for flexibility to work back-shifts & weekends when required to cover sport events. It also includes travelling to cover sport across Scotland, the UK and abroad.
To Apply & Benefits
To apply please email a full CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.
There are plenty of reasons why it’s great to work at STV, here are just a few of the perks for you;
- 25 days paid annual leave and 9 public holidays per annum
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday.
- Healthcare cash plan providing Company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs.
- Company pension contribution.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season ticket travel loan.
- On-site occupational health service.
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from an ethnically diverse background, disabled and/or neuro diverse people and those from a lower socio-economic background.
As a Disability Confident employer, we are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role