Other Jobs You Might Like
The Times and The Sunday Times are looking for aspiring content creators to join the apprenticeship scheme. This is an opportunity to work at Britain’s most trusted quality newspapers as part of an award-winning team.
The two-year scheme is based in London and we are looking for candidates with originality, talent, commitment and a love of journalism.
If you are successful, you will start work at the beginning of January 2024
Your role: You will be involved in a wide range of teams including; writing and editing, photo and video journalism, social media journalism and podcasts and radio. You will learn everything we can teach you about how to create content, tell stories, attract, grow and capture an audience.
You will receive mentoring and coaching bespoke to you and delivered by some of the most experienced journalists in the industry.
At the end of the 2 year program you’ll complete your apprenticeship with great experiences, knowledge and contacts in journalism. There is no better way to start your journalism career than an apprenticeship with us.
Being an Apprentice at The Times: During your time with us you will earn above living wage, get full training, 4 days a week with The Times / Sunday Times and 1 day a week studying – including an L3 Content Creator Course – with all your course fees paid. You will also receive mentoring from the industry’s best, as well as any other equity you might need to fulfil your full potential.
What we’re looking for from you
- You are passionate about journalism and creating the best content
- You have a strong interest in current affairs and an appetite for news
- You turn new and imaginative ideas into reality that will resonate with a more diverse audience
- Tenacity in telling a story
- You can make the complex simple
- Unflappable and reliable under pressure
Online Application > Google Meet Interview> Assessment day
As part of the Online Application process, we would like you to answer the following 4 questions:
- Tell us about yourself and why you have applied for this Apprenticeship?
- Give us an example of a story you have covered/or would like to cover and how you could expand the story on social media
- How would you describe The Times and The Sunday Times and how would you get your friends to read them?
- Which journalist do you admire the most and why?
We are News UK: One of the leading media businesses in the UK and Ireland, our newsbrands include The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, The Sun on Sunday and The TLS. Our national broadcast brands include talkSPORT, Times Radio, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio, and we have market-leading local radio stations across Ireland. In 2022 we launched TalkTV, a major new TV channel available to everyone across the UK, delivering a schedule of news, current affairs, entertainment and sport. Our world-famous brands provide news, analysis, opinion and entertainment to almost 40 million people each month. Spanning digital and print, audio and video, events and experiences, our brands are home to a plurality of opinion, representing the diverse communities we serve. News UK is wholly owned by News Corp.
Life at News: At News UK our people are our heartbeat – they are the driving force behind our brands and we want to enable people to thrive. Some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you would like. Many of us work in a hybrid way between one of the News UK & Ireland offices and remotely.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 11 employee-led networks.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. Some of what we offer includes:
- Private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions
- Discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes
- ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing. Please let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.