- Starting Out
People Management, one of the UK’s most popular business brands, has an exciting vacancy for a junior staff writer, ideally suited a journalist looking to step onto the first rung of their B2B career ladder.
People Management’s award-winning monthly magazine has a circulation of nearly 140,000, and a daily email newsletter that reaches 120,000 subscribers, as well as a thriving podcast and active social media presence. We’re an HR magazine with a reputation for good writing and hard facts, as well as visual flair and the ability to break stories – with a bit of wry humour thrown in.
All of which means this is a dynamic and hard-working environment in which to build your career as part of a team of experienced journalists. You’ll mainly be writing news stories, monitoring trends and contributing ideas, as well as share responsibility for building our email newsletter and looking after our social media channels.
The junior staff writer on People Management plays a key part in delivering daily news on the brand’s website, managing the production of its popular newsletter (with 140,000 daily newsletter) and posting to social media, as well as contributing ideas and articles across all channels, including print. This is a role for an ambitious journalist, potentially in a first journalistic role, who demonstrates a clear aptitude for news writing (at least half the role involves hands-on news journalism), an ability to organise and a digital-first mindset.
- Writing daily online news articles under the supervision of the news editor
- Researching potential articles and building knowledge to contribute ideas that develop the news agenda
- Using the software programme to build the daily email newsletter, and posting content to social media
- Writing articles for the print magazine as required
- Attending events and building contacts among the HR community
- Getting involved in the production of the podcast by contributing ideas and/or conducting interviews
- Monitoring the editorial email inbox, answering/forwarding queries as appropriate, and undertaking admin tasks
- A relevant degree or equivalent experience
- Strong writing skills, excellent attention to detail and the ability to produce accurate content to tight deadlines
- An interest in news and current affairs
- Excellent knowledge of social media and digital journalism
- The ability to multitask, manage their own workload and ‘muck in’ when required
Other benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Season ticket loan on passing probationary period
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit your lifestyle