- Next Step Jobs
Leeds+, the city’s social-first news platform, is looking for a one-of-a-kind creative storyteller ready to push the boundaries of digital news. In just months, Leeds+ has built an audience of thousands, specialising in video and crafting stories in some of the most visual ways possible.
We want a journalist unafraid to get behind the camera and eager to own the next big story from start to finish. You’re always on the lookout for the next scoop, and you’ve an eye for the best way to tell it.
Who Are Leeds+
Leeds+ launched towards the end of 2020, mid-lockdown and with the world at a standstill. In the months since, our small team of experienced digital journalists have reached millions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and TikTok, producing compelling native social video features on all things Leeds.
We’re here to explore key local issues, putting people at the heart of every story as well as celebrating the great food, drink and events that make our city the place it is. If Leeds folk are talking about it, we want to be there, telling stories in the most engaging and visual ways possible. Our ethos is simply ‘Backing Leeds’ – championing the things that mean the most to all those who call this city home.
But it doesn’t stop there, under the wider Story+ brand we help businesses tell their own story too – working with clients to engage, market to and build loyal audiences on social media.
We shoot for social, knowing how best to stop thumbs scrolling and helping brands stand out from the noise. We’re an expanding team with a studio and production facility in the heart of Leeds, now at a really exciting point in our journey.
We want someone to help us build on the momentum behind our impressive audience growth, using the most advanced digital storytelling techniques to capture the biggest stories in our city. You’ll be the ultimate multi-skiller, a qualified journalist with a nose for news while being confident behind the camera and in the editing suite. You’ll know all social media platforms inside out, from Twitter to TikTok, and the differences between them and their audiences too.
- To shoot and edit high quality short-form video for Leeds+ platforms.
- Help to source, research and plan engaging local news content that aligns with our ‘Backing Leeds’ ethos.
- Build and maintain relationships with key contacts from across the city.
- Embrace the Leeds+ way of telling stories, and help to develop new ways too, using the most advanced digital tools available.
- Working to tight deadlines, often shooting and editing stories for publication on the same day.
- Upholding high journalistic standards of trust and integrity and adhering to all Leeds+ editorial guidelines.
- Supporting the wider Story+ video strategy, including assisting in commercial and advertorial content creation.
The ideal candidate:
- A qualified video journalist, preferably NCTJ or BJTC-accredited.
- Excellent communication and writing skills is a must.
- A competent self-shooter:
- Filming with ‘lightweight’ (MoJo) video and sound equipment.
- Ability to edit using Adobe Creative Cloud (mainly Premiere Pro).
- Experience shooting news packages unassisted on location.
- A passion for digital storytelling and embracing new ways to engage audiences.
- Knowledge of the Leeds patch and the key issues affecting the city.
- A passion for social media and emerging platforms.
- A valid UK driving licence.
What You’ll Get
- 12-month staff contract, with a view to a permanent position.
- £25,000 to £29,000 salary dependent on experience.
- 25 days holiday allowance.
- Extensive in-house and external training in specialist social video production.
- Flexible office and home working opportunities.
- Flexible shift pattern and rota with some weekend work required.
- Edit-grade laptop and full MoJo self-shooting camera kit.
- The chance to work as part of a fun, dynamic and forward-thinking team!
Deadline for applicants: August 30, 2021 (early applications are encouraged).
We believe that diversity is important in bringing value to our audiences, partners and our team. Therefore we encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, irrespective of age, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender identity and sexual orientation. Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.