Other Jobs You Might Like
- Flexible Working
- Starting Out
Important: To be eligible, you must be aged 16-24 and currently receiving Universal Credit. Consult with your work coach to check your eligibility. For more information see the Government website.
You will be responsible for building a social media strategy for our five community newspapers Waltham Forest Echo, Barnet Post, Enfield Dispatch, Haringey Community Press and EC1 Echo. You love to tell a story and you know how to tell it on different platforms using innovative storytelling tools. You are obsessed with engaging people in conversations about the news, particularly audiences who are harder to reach. You know how to capture an audience’s attention and what strategies might help to grow a following.
- Working closely with the editors you will be responsible for building our social media following by creating a consistent voice and tone across each newspaper’s own platforms (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter)
- Using Adobe InDesign or Canva to create daily content for social media channels based on the latest news stories uploaded to our websites or published in our print newspapers, including Instagram stories.
- Responding to audience on social media which includes following up on leads for advertising clients and alerting editors to potential stories
- Opportunity to develop skills in video content creation and design skills
- Pitching original stories to the editors based on social media engagement
Based in Walthamstow, E17 7HA with some home working. This role would suit someone outgoing who loves to talk to people and engage with them.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent written and verbal English
- Be a visual and creative individual with an eye for detail and ability to think outside the box
- Computer skills including all social media platforms and G-suite
- Proven use of social media in a professional capacity or to grow an audience on a personal platform
- Basic understanding of tools like Adobe Indesign and Canva
- This is an independent role so the candidate must have a high level of autonomy and personal responsibility
- Knowledge of SEO
- Proven enthusiasm for news telling, whether that be a student newspaper, work experience in a newsroom or personal blog
- Proven interest in social or community work whether that is volunteering or previous experience working at a charity/social enterprise
How To Apply
Please send a CV and covering to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday 30th November – you must be eligible for the Kickstart scheme to be appointed to this role. Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.
About Social Spider CIC
Social Spider Community Interest Company (CIC) is a not-for-profit social enterprise that publishes five community newspapers – and carries out research and consultancy projects focused on social enterprise and social innovation. It is developing a new, sustainable social enterprise model for local news that holds power to accounts, and represents and amplifies the voices of local communities. For more information on Social Spider CIC’s approach to local news, go to our Medium page.