- Starting Out
The Royal Television Society is looking for a bright, energetic and enthusiastic intern to join our busy digital team as soon as possible for three months, with the possibility of extension, paid at London Living Wage.
The Royal Television Society (RTS) is the UK and Ireland’s leading forum for television and related media. The RTS website has become a hub for TV-related news and features, building on the Society’s long history of awards and agenda-setting events.
Previous interns have gone on to work for the Radio Times, Renegade Pictures and Warner Bros.
About The Role:
As part of the RTS digital team, you will create compelling and sharable content about the television industry and its related fields, and provide administrative support to RTS staff and volunteers.
From live-blogging RTS events and interviewing top TV talent to promoting RTS events and membership, you will be part of an exciting, multifaceted industry, while learning valuable journalism and communication skills.
Based at our central London HQ, you’ll also be expected to provide vital administrative support to our small and friendly team so a ‘can-do’ attitude is essential.
What You’ll Gain From The Internship:
- The chance to develop a portfolio of work
- Paid experience at the centre of the television industry
- The opportunity to meet key talent and decision makers from across TV
- An enhanced understanding of what goes into creating great content for web and social media
- An understanding of the role of digital in an educational charity
- Write compelling news and features for the RTS and RTS Futures websites
- Promote RTS content on social media channels to drive traffic to the website
- Report on RTS events and awards bashes using live blogs and other social media
- Help other members of the team produce short, shareable videos
- Come up with brilliant ideas for new features and content
- Support the team with administrative tasks in the RTS office, including reception, sorting mail, and greeting visitors to the office in a friendly manner
- Assist other departments in the RTS – including events and accounts
- Support the RTS regional centres in adding content to the website and promoting events
- A demonstrable passion for the world of television, journalism and the media
- Experience of writing for an audience (eg. student media, work experience, freelance work or an up-to-date blog)
- The ability to write sparkling copy that is clean and accurate in a timely fashion, plus good proofreading skills
- Self-motivation, and a desire to make yourself useful in a busy office
- A solid understanding of how digital content works, including social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- The desire to move forward in a career in the media
- A diligent and discipline work ethic, and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Good communication skills, punctuality and professionalism
It would also be great – but not vital – for you to possess…
- Experience shooting and editing online video
- Graphic design skills
- Admin experience
To apply for this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a recent CV, cover letter, and at least one example of your writing.
In your application we’d also like you to write a short news article of no more than 250 words about a piece of TV-related news that you think would work well on our website. The deadline for applications is 11:59pm on 19th January 2020. Please mention Journo Resources when applying for jobs.