Other Jobs You Might Like
Impress is a champion for high-quality news. In an ever-changing media landscape, we are here to make sure our members can publish with integrity; and the public can participate in news with confidence. We do this by setting high regulatory standards for news providers; through education that allows people to make informed choices; and by offering resolution when it’s needed. Impress regulates a network of over 200 digital and print publications across the UK, reaching more than 19 million readers each month. We have exciting plans for continued growth and are expanding our business development team to help us achieve this.
This position is based in Impress’ offices in the heart of London, within a short walk of Blackfriars station. Impress is currently adopting a hybrid working arrangement and the successful candidate must be prepared to work flexibly on both a short and longer-term basis.
The Regulatory Services Manager is responsible for all aspects of Impress’ regulatory services with the aim of effectively upholding the highest ethical standards for newsgathering and publication. They will manage Impress’s suite of regulatory and dispute resolution services and will be responsible for ensuring a) members ongoing compliance with the Impress regulatory scheme, and b) Impress’ compliance with the Royal Charter of self-regulation of the press. This is an opportunity for someone with ambition, integrity, and energy to deliver effective regulatory services of the highest quality.
Your core responsibilities will be ensuring that membership, casework and dispute resolution services are managed in accordance with the Impress Regulatory Scheme; reviewing and developing the regulatory scheme and Impress’ services; and monitoring and advising on legal, ethical and regulatory policy and relationships.
This role reports to the Chief Executive and will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with Board and Senior Management Teams. This role requires supervision of regulatory executives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Manage and review fair and effective process for compliance with Impress’ internal governance requirements
- Manage and review fair and effective process for casework with the Impress’ Regulatory Scheme. This includes responding directly to customers in a professional and courteous manner, where required
- Manage, develop, and review regulatory and dispute resolution products and services in line with changing market need
- Manage a small but growing regulatory team
- Act as Secretariat for Regulatory Committees (and any other working group required)
- Act as Secretariat for the Code Committee, including carrying out reviews of the Standards Code
- Provide recommendations to the Chief Executive and Board as to the need for any modifications to the Impress Regulatory Scheme and related procedures.
- Provide recommendations to the Chief Executive and Board as to the need for any investigations into serious or systemic breaches of the Impress Standards Code and/or governance requirements.
- Provide recommendations to the Board as to the appropriateness of arbitration to resolve legal disputes.
- Provide advice on law, media and tech policy issues, including compliance with the Royal Charter on Self-Regulation of the Press, and monitoring and responding to Government and industry consultations and related issues.
- Manage relationships with partners and suppliers to ensure all regulatory activity is effectively administered.
- Manage consultation and training with members on issues arising from regulatory activity.
- To implement and positively promote equal opportunities in service delivery and employment practices.
- To take due responsibility and set an example for the health and safety of yourself and other individuals.
- To undertake training and attend meetings as required and directed by your line Manager.
Statement of Flexibility
This job description sets out the duties of the post at the time it was drawn up. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence. Staff team working and individual personal development is key to Impress’ success in delivering its business aims and objectives. All staff are therefore expected to have a flexible attitude in responding to new priorities and opportunities as they arise.
Can You Demonstrate:
- A good understanding of the media, tech and press industry.
- Knowledge and/or experience of media law, journalism ethics, and alternative dispute resolution.
- Experience of casework management within a regulator, complaints management body, professional association, or a regulated organisation.
- Experience in a relevant area of public policy.
- Experience coaching, developing and mentoring staff.
- Outstanding written communication skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- High levels of Integrity.
- The ability to multitask and work well under pressure.
- A positive, can-do attitude with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances with flexibility, good humour and resilience.
- Strong appetite for learning and development.
- A commitment to IMPRESS’s values and mission.
What We Can Offer You:
- A friendly flexible working environment with a growing team
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Enhanced holiday of 25 days plus bank holidays and additional discretionary leave at the end of December
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible working opportunities
- Team Away Days and social events
- Commitment to actively support and encourage learning and development opportunities
- Free eye tests
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and early applications are encouraged.
Please submit your CV with a cover letter explaining how you fulfil the key criteria for the role to Alexander Moss at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.