Other Jobs You Might Like
The BMJ is recruiting a Publishing Executive for a two-year fixed-term contract, to support the Business Manager to manage the financial, commercial, legal and team activities of The BMJ, BMJ Medicine and BMJ Open. The post-holder will work with editorial and publishing teams to implement the strategic development of this key group of journals, and to develop and report on strategic KPIs, and will support The BMJ’s Digital Transformation Programme, deputising for the Business Manager when required.
- Monitoring costs and revenues across subsections of The BMJ and BMJ Medicine
- Monitoring and reporting on publishing metrics and KPIs
- Point of contact for queries from the Editorial, Finance, Legal, Marketing and Customer Services teams
- Following up partner, vendor and freelance contracts
- Managing grants and associated reporting
- Answering queries about open access fees and related charges, including for sponsored article collections.
- Participating in process improvement work across the journals
- Helping project manage activities, presentations and reporting for The BMJ digital transformation programme
- Deputising for the Business Manager in supporting the team with large-scale meetings and communications, and attending some cross-company meetings on her behalf
- Supporting the Business Manager in developing new revenue streams and business opportunities.
- Provide strong customer service to authors and reviewers when queries are passed from any other BMJ team.
Skill, Experience & Qualifications
- Proven experience working in the editorial / publishing office of a peer-reviewed journal or journal publisher, with a strong understanding of editorial and peer review processes, as well as business management.
- Will need to be numerate and spreadsheet-proficient, and comfortable with analysing and presenting data.
- Project management experience would be an advantage.
- Capable of learning a new role with limited oversight
Why should you apply?
BMJ is a global healthcare knowledge provider with a vision for a healthier world. We share knowledge and expertise to improve healthcare outcomes.
You may know us as the publisher of one of the world’s most cited general medical journals, The BMJ. We also publish over 70 specialty journals, many of which are the most influential titles in their field.
We also offer digital professional development courses and clinical decision support tools to help medical institutions and clinicians tackle today’s most critical healthcare challenges.
Evidence underpins everything we do – it’s what makes us one of the world’s most trusted knowledge providers. And the figures speak for themselves. More than 50 million users from over 150 countries access our websites every year.
BMJ is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association (BMA), with nearly 500 employees worldwide. Our head office is located within the Grade II listed BMA House in Euston, London, with more offices in China, India, North America, and Wales.
At BMJ we take equal opportunities very seriously, diversity and inclusion are more than just words, they are an organisational priority. We are building a culture where everyone feels able to bring their full, authentic selves to work. We encourage applications from under-represented groups and we are a Disability Confident Committed employer.
You will be able to join any of our employee-led networks focusing on: Gender, Cultural Diversity, Sexual Orientation, Mental Health and Well-being, Parents and Carers, and Age.
We offer flexible work arrangements to all our employees.
Those who come to work with us are assured of a rewarding career in an increasingly global company. In return, we offer a great place to work with a wide range of benefits, including:
- Twenty-five days holiday entitlement plus bank holidays, a BMA Day and the opportunity to gain more holiday entitlement through long service employment
- Additional days’ leave for moving house, volunteering or getting married
- Onsite gym, fitness classes and subsidised canteen and cafeteria
- Double matching employer pension contribution, up to 12%
- Multiple discounts through MyReward employee benefits platform.
- Season ticket loan, gym membership and cycle to work scheme
- Seven times salary life assurance cover
- Regular social events, diversity and inclusion groups, and charity fundraising initiatives to get involved in
Please do mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.