gal-dem is an award-winning media company committed to sharing the perspectives of women and non-binary people of colour. We have proven that our journalism and creative work can shape debates, shift discussions, create new ways of thinking and contribute to social movements.
gal-dem is celebrated for content which supports and gives voice to our varied communities – and brings joy to them too. Alongside this, as a platform our aim is to become widely known for original and ambitious investigative reporting and original analysis. Our focus is on the stories of marginalised communities and incorporates anything from social justice and institutional corruption to cultural touchpoints and wellbeing.
As an editorial platform:
- People come to us for stories and perspectives that they cannot find elsewhere.
- We tell people-focused stories which represent the diversity of the human experience and seek out unheard voices.
- We always seek the truth and apply journalistic rigour throughout our publishing processes.
- We always put quality content over clickbait.
- We continue to learn from others in the industry.
- We refuse to tolerate discrimination of any kind.
- We are not afraid to have fun!
We are looking for a motivated person to join our team as the Opinions and Personal Essays editor. You must have an understanding of the lived experiences of women and non-binary people of colour. You must be committed to journalism which represents the diversity of the human experience, seeking out unheard voices and sharing the perspectives of women and non-binary people of colour.
Once you have settled in your role, there may be the opportunity to represent gal-dem in a public-facing capacity. gal-dem is a startup organisation and from time to time you may be required to perform duties outside of your core job description.
The Opinions and Personal Essays editor will:
- Be responsible for commissioning, editing, writing and publishing the majority of first-person content across the site, with a focus on responsive, news-based opinion pieces and essays.
- Identify the key voices gal-dem should be seeking to platform and find writers and first person experiences from within our communities.
- Generate and seek out original stories and content ideas not seen elsewhere.
- Keep a close eye on breaking news and the conversations happening within our communities on social media and in offline spaces.
- Acquire and nurture contacts with writers and organisations who may want to publish exclusives.
- Use analytics and SEO to inform and improve the content we publish.
- Commission illustrations to accompany opinions content and personal essays.
- Help to manage and contribute to the annual gal-dem print edition.
- Ability to commission, write and edit work with flair, precision and speed.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with writers, colleagues and managers.
- Ability to generate fresh ideas that will keep the team on their toes.
- Understanding of SEO and content management systems and processes.
- Adherence to commissioning processes and use of spreadsheets.
- Truly believes in gal-dem’s values and mission statement.
- A minimum of three years working within journalism in either a freelance or staffed capacity
- Be eligible to work within the UK
We believe that our role in media is to give a voice to the people of colour we serve as a platform and respect the diversity within this — including members of the LGBTQI+ community, people from working class backgrounds and disabled people. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities.
Job Role: Opinions and Personal Essay Editor
Reporting to: Charlie Brinkhurst-Cuff (Head of Editorial)
Type: Full time, Fixed term (six months) with the possibility of extension
Starting salary: £26k
Start date: 7th September 2020
Location: Remote working (subject to change)
- 32 days annual holiday
- Enhanced sick leave policy
- Monthly wellness sessions
- Professional development plan on arrival
- EMI scheme
How To Apply?
CV, cover letter (including links to two of your opinions articles) and a video (no more than 60 seconds) introducing yourself to join @ gal – dem . com by 14 August. Interviews will take place the following week. Please mention Journo Resources when applying, it really helps us out.