- Starting Out
Zitamar News, the leading independent English-language news source on Mozambique, is seeking to hire a trained and/or experienced intern to write news articles about the conflict in the north of the country, based on reports from Zitamar’s network of sources on the ground, and local media.
The insurgency in northern Mozambique has been claimed as a new front by ISIS, and with the involvement of regional and global powers, has become a major global news story.
Zitamar News has been on the ground in Mozambique since 2015 and is widely respected as the leading English-language news source on the conflict.
Through the Cabo Ligado conflict observatory, led by conflict documentation organisation ACLED, we have access to a network of reporters in the country and leading analysts, producing regular news reports as well as weekly and monthly deepdives.
We are seeking an intern, working remotely, from September to the end of 2021, at which point there may be an opportunity for a full-time or expanded role.
The Intern Will:
- Write regular, original, agency-style articles tracking the development of the conflict
- Write summaries of local news reports on the conflict for Zitamar’s subscriber-only daily Briefing email
- Record conflict reports for internal archives and to share with Cabo Ligado team
Zitamar News Can Offer:
- Work experience in international, conflict journalism, with a respected publication
- Access to an unrivalled source network on the Mozambique insurgency
- Support to pitch and write freelance pieces about the Mozambique insurgency for major international publications
- £150 per week. Weekly hours are negotiable. UK-based workers will be paid at least the UK minimum wage for a maximum of 16 hours per week.
- Training and/or experience in news-writing for UK (or UK-style) media
- Understanding of Portuguese language would be a major advantage
- Strong work ethic and vocation for reporting
To apply, please send a CV and brief covering letter explaining why you are right for the role, to the editor, Tom Bowker, at email@example.com. Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.