Other Jobs You Might Like
- Starting Out
We’re looking for an editorial assistant to join our growing team of journalists at Sifted.
Sifted is a new media platform reporting on the world of technology and startups in Europe, backed by the Financial Times. Just a year after launching, we’ve become known for our high-quality journalism and fresh viewpoints, and a must-read for many founders, investors and people working in startups across the continent.
Our team of reporters, based across Europe, aren’t chasing after the latest funding announcements or product releases; plenty of other sites have got that covered. We are telling the untold stories — big startup trends, compelling company profiles and the everyday lessons that come from growing a business and messing up along the way.
We’ve got big plans for this year — and so are on the lookout for a dynamic and self-starting editorial assistant who can become the operational lynchpin of our London newsroom. This is a role with oodles of room to grow in different directions, be it with writing articles for Sifted or developing expertise in social media and brand-building. It’s also a chance to work closely with, and learn from, a super experienced and creative bunch of journalists.
What are we like to work for? We have a small-company mindset, but can draw on many of the strengths and benefits of a world-respected brand, the Financial Times. We’re friendly, hard-working and passionate about what we do. We have a flat structure, collaborate across disciplines, and everyone has impact across many areas of the business. We value feedback, honesty and clear communication.
Who You Are:
- You have excellent attention to detail.
- You’re super organised.
- You’re curious, and enjoy meeting new people and learning new things.
- You enjoy writing and have lots of bright ideas.
- You’re keen to learn more about journalism but willing to take responsibility for a lot of administrative tasks too.
- You’re interested in startups.
As an editorial assistant, over the next 12 months you’ll:
- Work on our website: uploading stories, sub-editing pieces, sourcing attention-grabbing images (or perhaps even creating them), optimising articles for SEO and managing reader comments
- Help with our reports and special projects: coming up with ideas, collecting data, fact-checking, contacting interviews and assisting with writing
- Assist with our newsletters: finding news stories and events to include in them, proof-reading and scheduling
- Support on sponsored content: interviewing and writing pieces, and liaising with clients
- Find bigger audiences for Sifted stories: identifying experts to connect with and sharing pieces with new communities, via social media, email etc.
- Find a beat and begin reporting on startups in that sector
- Learn heaps about the exciting world of European startups
If you have some of the following, that would be a bonus:
- Photo editing skills
- Experience in social media management (or at least, a creative personal account)
- Experience with data visualisation
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Flexible working hours and the option to work from home some days
- Weekly team lunches, seemingly endless snacks — and free drinks on Friday at our coworking space
- Regular team socials (eg. pub quizzes, dinners, theatre trips)
- The chance to have an impact across many areas of the business
How To Apply:
Please send an email explaining why you’d like to apply and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include a CV and any examples of your writing that you have. Please mention Journo Resources in your application – it really helps us out!