Other Jobs You Might Like
Positive News is the pioneering media brand for good journalism about what’s going right in the world. We are looking for an experienced and dynamic editor for our flagship print publication, Positive News magazine.
In this hands-on role, the editor will manage all aspects of producing the quarterly magazine. The position also has responsibility for oversight of our journalistic output across our digital channels. In this senior role you will be making an important contribution to our positive social impact, as part of a small, purpose-driven team. You will work from home/remotely, with the opportunity for flexible hours. We meet up in-person as a team at least once each quarter.
Depending on experience, the selected candidate can choose to work 32 or 40 hours per week, with extended responsibilities for the latter option. This is a maternity cover contract for one year, with the potential for further employment after the term ends.
What you’ll do
● Plan and coordinate all stages of producing Positive News magazine
● Deliver the magazine on time, to a high standard and within budget
● Ideate and commission a variety of compelling and unique stories
● Source and direct freelance journalists, subeditors and proofreaders
● Subedit articles, including maintaining house style, fact-checking and writing headlines and standfirsts
● Commission original photography and illustration in collaboration with our art directors, and source images from agencies
● Liaise with our design team throughout the production of each magazine issue
● While you will not be required to line manage editorial staff, you will have authoritative oversight of our journalism across all channels
● Manage editorial workflows and schedules, collaborating with the digital editor on planning publication across print and online channels
● Sign off branded content for publication and collaborate with the partnerships editor as required
● Collaborate with other editors and the CEO on the development of editorial strategies
● Write news, features and other content when necessary. (Note however that this is not a writing role)
● Report on editorial activity
● Represent our publication in the media if required
What you’ll bring
● 5+ years’ experience in media or a related industry, of which 2+ are in editor roles (employed or freelance)
● Outstanding organisational skills with confidence in overseeing editorial planning
● Experience editing a print magazine is desirable. However, candidates with sufficient editorial experience and evidence of their adaptability will be considered
● Meticulous attention to detail and commitment to quality
● Sharp writing skills, and excellent subediting and proofreading abilities
● Experience writing or editing news (as well as other formats)
● Proven track record of commissioning and managing journalists and working within budget
● An ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, with confidence in self-managing a demanding workload
● A passion for how journalism can serve society and a keen interest in ‘solutions journalism’
Editor (maternity cover)
● 32 hours (four days) or 40 hours (five days) per week
● 1-year fixed term, maternity cover
● Home / remote working (United Kingdom based)
● £35,000-£40,000 p/a full-time equivalent
● Annual leave: 25 days plus bank holidays, FTE
About Positive News
We are a purpose-driven media brand, inspiring and empowering people through journalism. Our organisation is a community benefit society (a form of co-operative) owned by more than 1,500 reader-investors, who elect our board of directors. Our profits are reinvested in our journalism. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive culture and diversity within our team. We welcome the unique contributions that people can bring regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. We value employee wellbeing.
How to apply
To apply, please fill in this application form.
You will need:
1. CV (PDF file, no more than two pages)
2. Examples of: an article you’ve commissioned, another you’ve subedited, and one you’ve written.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org