- Starting Out
Falkland Islands Television (FITV) is offering adventurous, self-motivated candidates the unique chance to work for this small but fast developing TV station in the South Atlantic.
The Falkland Islands are a British Overseas Territory, 300 miles off the coast of South America. The population of the islands is around 3,500 people and the climate is similar to the coast of Northern Scotland.
FITV is the sole local television station in The Falkland Islands and produces a weekly news programme called “Falklands in Focus”. We produce a monthly political programme called ‘Talking Point’ and a weekly podcast called ‘Meanwhile, in the Falklands’. FITV also makes use of various social media platforms posting updates regularly.
Working for a national TV station means that you will be covering stories ranging from Court and the Legislative Assembly, to wildlife and historical features, and everything in-between.
The beauty of working for a small television station means successful candidates will have the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of producing a TV programme once a week. Your responsibilities as a Broadcast Journalist will include reporting, shooting and editing news stories, directing, presenting and producing, scriptwriting, managing social media pages, developing story ideas, networking contacts, making community appearances on behalf of the station, as well as other responsibilities as assigned. The contract is for 12 months with a start date of September 2021 and would ideally suit someone who has graduated in the last few years.
- A degree or equivalent level of training in Broadcast Journalism or TV production,
- Must have experience with Adobe Creative Suite including Premiere Pro, After Effects,
- Excellent communication skills, computer literate and fluent in English,
- Good technical camera skills,
- Hold a full, clean UK driving licence or equivalent.
- Ideal candidates should be outgoing and armed with curiosity to seek out interesting stories, keeping a small community audience in mind,
- Equipped with a sharp news judgement and good organisational and time management skills,
- Be proactive and use their initiative to work on their own and as part of a dynamic team,
- Experience of working to short deadlines and editing news pieces efficiently and prioritise stories,
- Be adaptable to a new environment and be enthusiastic to embrace the opportunity to explore the islands history, culture and community.
The package consists of a salary of £1,342.50 per month. Flights at the start and end of the contract are included. Accommodation (including electricity, water and gas) is provided at a cost of £250 per month.
Candidates will be able to use the return portion of their flight to travel back to the United Kingdom via South America, if they so wish.
In the first instance please email your CV and covering letter to Hannah Newton by emailing email@example.com before Monday 26th July 2021. Please mention Journo Resources when you apply, it really helps us out.