Meet The Women In A Hijab Making History
Hello I’m a journalist in London and would like to pitch the following story to Glamour:
Meet the women making the hijab “visible”
WHAT: I’d like to write about the following women, all of whom wear the hijab, and their achievements, to make a point that the garment doesn’t hold women back from being who they want to be.
WHO: The women I’d like to feature are:
- Raffia Arshad – UK’s first hijabi judge
- Zeena Ali – New Zealand’s first hijabi police officer
- Fatima Manji – first hijabi news presenter in Britain
- Bliqis Abdul Qaadir – first hijabi player in NCAA Division I basketball
- Zahra Lari – Hijabi professional figure skater
- Mariah Idrissi – Hijabi model
- Yuna – Hijabi Malaysian singer-songwirter
- Nura Afia – First hijabi brand ambassador of CoverGirl
I have put this list together because they reflect a variety of geographies, ethnicities and occupations, in a space where their presence is unexpected.
WHY: Given current events, there’s plenty of talk about the hijab at the moment. Also, Ramadan has begun around the world which is often a time for Muslims to explore their religious identity more deeply. You can find some of my previously published work here. Please let me know if I can send any further information. I look forward to hearing from you.